The Department of Religious Studies encourages multidisciplinary inquiry into religious ideas, experiences, philosophies, cultural expressions, and social movements.
This master degree in Religious Studies is offered by The University or Iowa. It studies a rich array of traditions and paths, including South and Southeast Asian religions, ancient Judaism and early Christianity, African diaspora religions, modern European Christianity, various Islamic sects, North American religions including Native American traditions, and new forms of religion that many people may not yet recognize as religions.
The study of religion helps students to think critically and creatively about the many forms that religion takes and the subtle ways in which it operates. Students learn how people from around the world have responded to age-old questions about life, love, suffering, and death. They learn about religion's impact on global events, including its influences on the construction of personal and communal identities, and its roles in shaping processes of social change, both historically and in the contemporary digital era.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Judaism, Christianity, and Islam
- Religions in a Global Context: The Critical Role of Religion in International Affairs
- Big Ideas: Introduction to Information, Society, and Culture
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
- Journey Through World Religions
- Gateway to the Bible
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 562 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- An Application for Graduate Assistantships
- A personal essay that explains your objectives for graduate study
- A writing sample that demonstrates your abililty to engage in critical thinking
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.