To thrive in today's international arena, successful professionals must possess knowledge of global and regional issues and a keen ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead in a multicultural environment. For many international affairs professionals, experience in Washington, DC, is an invaluable opportunity that strengthens and enhances their academic, professional, and cultural understanding of our globalized world.The Master of International Studies (M.I.S) offered by George Washington University is a unique program open to current students and recent alumni from M.A. programs at Elliott School partner institutions around the globe. M.I.S. students complete an additional academic year of full-time study in Washington, DC. Students pursue expanded study of a complementary global issue or world region, building upon the foundation of coursework completed at the partner school.
Whether one’s interests are in global trade, the development world, international public health, security and conflict resolution, or other global and regional issues, the Elliott School's M.I.S. program prepares students for careers in diplomacy, public service, international and non-governmental organizations, and multi-national organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- International Affairs Cornerstone
- Uses of History in International Affairs
- Survey of International Economics
- Survey of International Trade Theory and Policy
- Survey of International Macroeconomics and Finance Theory and Policy
- Intro to Conflict Resolution
- Nationalism and Ethnicity
- Anthropology and Contemporary Problems
- Political Geography
- Special Topics in International Affairs
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business View 212 other Masters in International Business in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation, preferably from professors. Applicants who have been out of school for several years may send recommendations from supervisors or employers.
- Transcripts are required from all colleges and universities attended, whether or not credit was earned, the program was completed, or the credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. :
- In an essay of approximately 500 words,
- A resumé or curriculum vitae is required.
International1960 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1960 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1960 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1960 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.