The Creative Writing program at Boston University prepares writers to become better critics of their own work and others’ and to teach.
The MFA is an eight-course, 32-credit degree, including four workshops, four graduate literature courses, and a world language requirement.
At least four of the courses taken must be workshops in fiction or poetry, depending on the genre in which the student is admitted. The four remaining courses are normally graduate-level literature courses, some of which may be completed during the BU summer session(s).
It is possible to take a course (or courses) in a subject or discipline other than literature, provided that these are demonstrably essential to the student’s creative work, and show a strong emphasis in reading literary, as distinct from purely scholarly or academic, texts.
- Fiction Workshop
- Poetry Workshop
- Creative Writing: Fiction
- Creative Writing: Poetry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 277 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
- A writing sample (for poetry, submit 10 poems; for fiction, submit no more than 40 double-spaced pages, stories are preferred)
- A personal statement, roughly 2-4 pages in length
- Two letters of recommendation. Recommenders must upload letters online.
- An updated CV.
- Transcripts from any college or university you have previously attended
- Certified English translations of all transcripts and academic records.
International54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National54720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 54720 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.