The Design program of San Francisco State University also prepares students for doctoral study in other institutions which emphasize research and professional development in relation to the various aspects of technology and transitions to careers in design, design research, design education, and related fields for students who do not have an undergraduate degree in design.
This program is designed for students who want to:
- Study visual communication design/graphic communications and/or product design development from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Learn and apply contemporary methods used in design research and practice.
- Develop further expertise in a specific area of design studies through an individual, interdisciplinary-based program of study that focuses on specific goals.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Prepare to pursue professional work in design firms, teaching, project management, strategic planning for design firms, or management roles in technology.
- Build problem-solving competencies, both conceptual and practical.
- Study visual communication design and product design with an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Work closely with graduate advisors to design an M.A. program that meets their career goals.
- Engage in focused, critical research into a chosen design problem.
- Develop a specialized area of study in graphic design/visual communication design, product design/manufacturing, industrial technology, project management, or digital media.
- Develop a Culminating Experience Proposal and Project reflective of their professional interests.
- Program may help students prepare for doctoral work at other institutions.
Students pursuing this program come from a variety of occupational areas. Employment opportunities include preparation for career advancement/enhancement through advanced study in design and related disciplines, acquisition of additional technical skills, and continued research and development activity.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Seminar in Design Research
- Graduate Research Methods and Scholarly Writing for Creative Disciplines
- Seminar in Design Management
- Seminar in Design Topics
- Seminar in Design Methodology
- Directed Experience in Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial Design Visual Arts View 75 other Masters in Industrial Design in United States
- A statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Portfolio that includes evidence of creative, technical, and/or written work
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8874 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8874 USD per year during 12 months.
National8874 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8874 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.