The Religion degree is offered by Harvard University.
Key learning outcomes:
Through the master's degree in the field of religion you:
- Develop an understanding of the historical origins, central teachings, and devotional practices of the major religious traditions.
- Build knowledge of religion’s role in political, economic, and cultural life through historical, social, and cultural contexts.
- Make a difference in your local community by designing and implementing a social justice development project.
The degree includes 12 courses, with at least three taken on campus.
- Get started. You begin by completing three stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third degree course, you submit your application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least three courses on campus.
- Thesis option. Working with a thesis director, you conduct in-depth research on a topic relevant to your work experience or academic interests, producing publishable quality results. You’ll emerge with a solid understanding of how research is executed and communicated.
- Social justice capstone option. You implement a coalition building project in your local community. Projects require a sound theoretical foundation in conflict transformation, a developed method for assessment, and a clear plan which can be implemented and evaluated within the confines of the semester.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in extension studies, field: Religion.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Master of Liberal Arts, Religion degree field consists of 12 courses, three of which are required for admission. You choose a thesis or capstone track.12 Graduate Courses
The degree is customizable. Within the program curriculum, you choose the religion and elective courses that meet your personal learning goals.
- 5 religion courses
- 1 religion seminar
- 2 general electives
- EXPO 42a is an elective option.
Additional Thesis Track Courses
- Crafting the thesis proposal
- Master's thesis part one
- Master's thesis part two
Additional Capstone Track Courses
- An addition general elective
- Precapstone: Bridges to Just Peace
- Social justice capstone
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 563 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
To begin the admission process, you simply register—no application needed—for the following three, four-credit, graduate-level degree courses (available online):
- HUMA 100 Proseminar: Introduction to Graduate Studies and Scholarly Writing in the Humanities
- Before registering, you'll need to pass our online test of critical reading and writing skills or earn a B or higher in EXPO 42a Writing in the Humanities.
- You have two attempts to earn the minimum grade of B in the proseminar (a withdrawal grade counts as an attempt). The proseminar cannot be more than two years old at the time of application.
- 1 religion course
- 1 religion elective (e.g., EXPO 42a)
International35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
National35000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 35000 USD for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.