The Creative Writing MFA program from San Francisco State University offers extended experience in small seminars and individual instruction with faculty. It also develops the student's understanding of the history and theory of literature and incorporates correlative patterns of study in elective areas such as other cultures, other arts, technical studies, and/or the teaching of writing.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Creative Work: Students will produce a publishable written creative work.
- Professional Preparation for fields related to literature and/or creative writing: Includes skills in publishing, writing, teaching, editing, book arts, and arts management.
- Literature: Students will understand and appreciate work of a broad range of writers, develop an awareness of literature in general, and his/her own genre in particular as it relates to larger human experience.
- Craft Elements: Students will have a working knowledge of the major elements in the craft of creative nonfiction, fiction, literary translation, playwriting, and/or poetry and consciously incorporate these elements in the revisions of their work and be able to discuss craft elements in written responses to their peers’ work.
The career goal is to train and encourage writers of creative nonfiction, fiction, literary translation, plays, and poetry. Many celebrated and distinguished writers are graduates of the department. In the job market, good writers are hard to find. The skills developed in creative writing translate well into corporate editing, publishing, teaching, and working for arts organizations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- MFA Workshop in Creative Nonfiction
- M.F.A. Workshop in Fiction
- M.F.A. Workshop in Poetry
- M.F.A. Workshop in Playwriting
- M.F.A. Workshop in Short Plays
- Advanced Short Story Writing
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 523 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Sample of writing (15-20 pages or fiction or non-fiction, poems, literary translation, stage play or two short plays)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts
- English language proficiency (international students)
International8918 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8918 USD per year during 36 months.
National8918 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8918 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.