The Cinema program of San Francisco State University offers students the opportunity to focus on any/all of the following areas: documentary, experimental and/or fiction.
The Master of Fine Arts in Cinema emphasizes knowledge of cinematic traditions along with the development of individual creative vision grounded in professional proficiency in technical crafts. The program integrates new processes, aesthetics, and technologies and encourages the development of original modes of cinematic expression. Coursework emphasizes documentary, experimental and fiction filmmaking. Students are encouraged to take courses in animation. Parallel coursework in film and media theory, history and criticism are required in years one and two of the M.F.A. program.
The M.F.A. prepares graduates to work as independent filmmakers, to assume creative professional roles within the film industry, or to teach at the college or university level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Creative Process
- Production Practice
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Animation Workshop
- Cinematography Workshop
- Film Production Research
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 211 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- A resume (1-2 pages) summarizing the applicant's education, awards or recognition, work experience, travel, languages, and special skills
- A personal statement (3 page maximum) discussing aesthetic influences, creative interests, and professional aspirations as a filmmaker
- An example of academic writing (7-12 pages) which illustrates the applicant's ability to make and support a thesis
- An example of creative, moving image work submitted on VIMEO, YouTube or other online link is required (five minutes maximum)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts: Upload two unofficial transcripts to the Cal State Apply application
- English language proficiency
International8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8704 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.