Our students engage seriously with the analysis of film and the history of cinema aesthetics and interpretation.
The Film Studies programme offered by The University of Edinburgh will provide you with the analytical and critical tools for the investigation of individual films and the opportunity to discuss these in relation to auteurs, film movements and genres as well as contexts of production and reception.
Edinburgh is an ideal environment for the study of film as it is home to outstanding art-house cinemas, a lively cinephile culture and the world-renowned Edinburgh International Film Festival.
This programme is an excellent chance to develop your cinematic interests and knowledge and to build your CV with a view to a career in academia, or in any film or media related field.
You will be introduced to Scotland’s lively film culture, with exceptional opportunities to network within the field.
You will also gain transferable skills in communication, research and project management that can be applied to any career you decide to pursue.
- Film Theory
- Research methods in Film Studies
- Cinema Auteurs
- Documentary Aesthetics
- Film Adaptation
- Film and Existentialism
- Film and the Other Arts
- Gender, Revolution and Modernity in Chinese Cinema
- Literature and Photography in the 20th century
- Sound and Cinema
- Unwritten Korea: Understanding Korean Society and Culture through Contemporary Arts and Films.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- There are 5 application rounds.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Liberal Arts View 301 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent.
- Multidisciplinary and comparative approaches are key aspects of film studies and we therefore welcome students coming from areas of study other than film.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.