Upon successful completion of this degree and submission of passing scores for the appropriate licensing tests, you will be recommended for initial teacher licensure to the Hawaii Teachers Standards Board (HTSB) to teach elementary (K-6), secondary (6-12), or Hawaiian Language Immersion (K-12) in a general education classroom.
Programs offered at the secondary level are: English, Hawaiian Language, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies. Candidates wanting to pursue other secondary areas should contact the program.
The MEdT program is field-based with candidates beginning field experiences in schools during their first semester of the program.
Candidates will complete two semesters of field experience, followed by a semester of full-time student teaching and an additional semester of full-time internship/employment.
Field experiences (practicum & residency) will be completed at an assigned Teaching partner school on the island they reside.
Candidates may not choose the location or grade level of their placement and must be willing to cover all transportation costs to the assigned school sites anywhere on the island.
Multicultural Global Experience
Committed to being the leading indigenous serving university in the country, University of Hawaii at Manoa proudly delivers a unique multicultural global experience in a Hawaiian place of learning, with a long history of adherence to the principles of sustainability and the essence of aloha—truly like nowhere else on earth.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Professional Studies Seminar
- Field & Experience Seminar
- Elementary Teaching Methods
- Research Methods
- Pre-Internship Practicum
- Practicum Seminar
- Internship Seminar
- Professional Specialization
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Regular mandatory meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1045 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16824 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7800 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.