In perusing your MA in English you select one of three distinct Plans of Study. Click on the links under each plan to see further details.
Thesis Plan: 30 hours of course work, a committee of three faculty members, a thesis (one long paper or two shorter papers), and a foreign language requirement. This plan is usually selected by students who want to continue on with a PHD and/or teach.
Teaching Composition Plan: 36 hours of course work (no committee, no thesis, no foreign language requirement). This plan is for those who may want to go on to a PHD but also for those who opt to teach at a community college. We have a long-standing relationship with GTCC and some students toward the end of their MA degree may apply for an internship through their FIT (Faculty-in-Training) Program.
- The Critical Canon and Contemporary Issues
- Modern Literary and Cultural Theory
- Postcolonial Literary and Cultural Theory
- Studies in Contemporary Literary and Cultural Theory
- Cultural Studies
- Feminist Theory and Women Writers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
International applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their application one month prior to the posted departmental deadline.
DisciplinesLiterature View 363 other Masters in Literature in United States
- Official transcripts of all previous work showing a major or graduate work in English, with a minimum grade point average of 3.0 in the undergraduate major.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic achievements.
- Scores on the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination.
- At the upload button labeled “Supplemental Materials A” attach the Word document that contains your writing sample.
- At the upload button labeled “Supplemental Materials B” (or "Resume") attach one Word document that contains in this order a) statement of purpose (1-2 pages) with your name at the top, and b) your current CV or resume.
International21734 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21734 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National21734 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21734 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State8016 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8016 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.