George Mason University Master of Social Work program provides students with an initial Generalist year, followed by a year of Specialized study. Students have the option of enrolling under a two-year, three-year, or four-year plan. Those who have earned a BSW degree from a CSWE-accredited program may qualify for the Advanced Standing program.
The Generalist year includes courses in human behavior; direct practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities; professional writing and program design ; social work research; and social policies and services.
In the Specialization year, students choose to focus on Clinical Practice (including interventions at the individual, family, group, and community levels) or Social Change (including community practice, organizational leadership, and policy practice).
Students gain an understanding of issues including child welfare, juvenile justice, trauma and recovery, mental health, substance abuse, disabilities, health, long-term care, and diversity. An important component of the program for all students is the supervised field experience, which provides 1,050 hours in sites/agencies appropriate to each student's strengths and learning goals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Social Work and Social Welfare
- Human Behavior and Social Systems
- Social Policies, Programs, and Services
- Influencing Social Policy
- Direct Social Work Practice
- Research Methods for Social Workers
- Generalist Field Practicum and Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSocial Work View 355 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1487 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 24 months.
National1487 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1487 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State599 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 599 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.