Thirty credits are required for the Music - Vocal Performance degree at University of Hawaii at Manoa, including a minimum number of credits (12 for students in the Plan A Thesis program, and 18 for students in the Plan B Non-Thesis program) in 600-level courses, excluding 699 and thesis 700. A maximum of 4 credits in ensembles may be applied to the degree. A master’s degree at the University of Hawai‘i, Manoa normally takes two years to complete.
Non-Thesis Program (Plan B):
Candidates concentrating in performance are required to give a public recital. In addition, in the recital semester, and before the recital date, the student will meet with the recital committee for a one-hour oral examination.
The student’s general knowledge and understanding of the field are examined, with emphasis on the historical and analytical aspects of the works to be performed on the graduate recital.
Successful completion of the oral examination is a requirement for graduation. The Program Committee must approve the date and repertory of the recital and the student’s level of preparation as evidenced in a private performance scheduled one month prior to the public recital.
A recording of the recital is filed with the Department Chairperson.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Bibliography & Library Resources in Music
- Seminar in Music Literature
- Graduate-Level Applied Music
- Graduate Recital
- Studies in Music Theory: Advanced Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1059 other Masters in Music in United States
- To be eligible, an applicant must hold or expect to hold prior to matriculation a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university, or an equivalent degree from a recognized non-U.S. institution of higher education. At minimum, the applicant needs to demonstrate above average academic performance (B average, usually a 3.0 on a 1.0-4.0 scale) for undergraduate course work and for any post-baccalaureate or graduate course work.
- Because the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of spaces available, admission is competitive. Meeting minimum admissions standards does not guarantee admission.
International33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
National33648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16824 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State15600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Honolulu
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.