The professional program culminates with a seven-month capstone project for an external client. Guided by industry and faculty mentors in this team-based research and development project, students experience the end-to-end process of a product cycle from idea through prototyping.
The Master of Educational Technology and Applied Learning Science program is a union of the Human-Computer Interaction Institute and the Department of Psychology which brings significant value to the program. We strongly believe that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and that we can all learn from each other. As such, many of the degrees offered by Carnegie Mellon are interdisciplinary. In that regard, METALS is not unique.
However, METALS not only intersects Psychology and HCII but it is at the crossroads of cognitive science, statistics, computer science, education and design. To understand how people learn, our students are trained in applying cognitive science methods to map learning objectives to sub-objectives and finally to well-designed instructional activities. To continuously improve instruction, we need to collect and analyze student progress. To do that our students learn how to use statistics to analyze extremely large data sets (data analytics). These analyses drive continuous improvement.
The Carnegie Mellon University mission is to create a transformative educational experience for students focused on deep disciplinary knowledge; problem solving; leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills; and personal health and well-being.
To cultivate a transformative university community committed to :
- attracting and retaining diverse, world-class talent;
- creating a collaborative environment open to the free exchange of ideas, where research, creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship can flourish
- ensuring individuals can achieve their full potential.
To impact society in a transformative way — regionally, nationally, and globally — by engaging with partners outside the traditional borders of the university campus.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- E-Learning Design Principles
- Educational Goals, Instruction and Assessment
- Tools for Online Learning
- Interaction Design Overview
- Personalized Online Learning
- Design of Educational Games
- Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning
- Applied Machine Learning
- Machine Learning
- Computational Models of Discourse Analysis
- Design & Engineering of Intelligent Information Systems
- Role of Technology in Learning in the 21st Century
- The Big Data Pipeline
- Mobile Service Innovation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Project Management Teaching View 189 other Masters in Project Management in United States
- Complete the online application.
- Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test.
- If English is not your native language, you must submit a TOEFL.
- Include a copy of your most recent transcript from each college and/or university you attended, even if no degree was granted. Submit in PDF format.
- Submit your resume.
- Write a Statement of Purpose.
- Include three letters of recommendation.
International71565 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 71565 USD per year during 12 months.
National74565 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 74565 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Pittsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.