Whether you are helping an organization roll out a new product, lobbying policy makers, tailoring messages to promote health, finding ways to best communicate scientific concepts to a general audience, or building stronger relationships with stakeholders, George Mason University’s Communication MA reflects broad and evolving needs in communication.
Overall, the program offers four distinct areas of focus:
- Strategic communication/public relations
- Health communication
- Science communication
- Individualized communication studies
In addition, faculty specialize in areas including mass media, interpersonal, intercultural, organizational, and political communication, and rhetoric. Our faculty serve in prominent leadership roles in professional communication organizations. Their scholarship has been supported by grants from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, the Food and Drug Administration, the Centers for Disease Control, and NASA.
Mason’s location in the Washington, D.C., area provides students abundant opportunities for professional development. Federal agencies, non-profits, public relations firms and start-ups regularly seek current students and alumni for job opportunities. The program is friendly to working professionals, because classes are taught during the evening.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Communication Studies Project
- Research Methodologies in Communication
- Qualitative Methods
- Research Methods
- Media Content Analysis
- Theories and Research of Mass Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- Health Communication
- Theories of Public Relations
- Persuasion Theory
- Theories of Interpersonal Communication
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Corporate Communication Digital Communication View 141 other Masters in Digital Communication in United States
- Students applying for graduate study must have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education, which is verified from official transcripts, by the time they enroll at Mason.
- Unofficial documents may be considered for admissions purposes only. Applicants may upload copies of their transcript with their application.
- Transcript must include a version in the original language as well as in English, and should contain a copy of the graduation certificate/diploma to verify the conferral date. Transcript evaluations can be made from unofficial documents.
- Two letters of recommendation.
International1612 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1612 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1612 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1612 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State724 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 724 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.