Through this work, critical contributions are made to basic biology, disease detection, drug design, modeling biosystems, forensics, agriculture, and environmental sciences through the combination of biological analysis and high-performance computing.
This Bioinformatics and Computational Biology degree from George Mason University addresses the growing national and regional demand for trained computational biologists.
It combines a solid foundation in biotechnology with the computational skills required for bioinformatics.
The flexibility of the degree structure permits students to custom design their curriculum under an advisor's guidance, making the program especially relevant for students employed in today's diverse biotechnology workplace.
Students completing the program are qualified to pursue careers that require knowledge of current bioinformatics methods and applications, and the ability to develop and/or use new bioinformatics software.
Courses are generally offered in the late afternoon or early evening to accommodate students with full-time employment outside the university. Students employed at area biotechnology organizations may take up to 6 credits (out of 31) for bioinformatics work done on the job, under the guidance of a faculty member. This work-related project may be applied as either a 3-credit research project or a 6-credit master's thesis.
All courses are also offered online, allowing students to participate in class without having to travel to campus.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Bioinformatics Methods
- Molecular Cell Biology for Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatics Programming
- Systems Biology
- Colloquium in Bioinformatics
- Research Project
- Master's Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiology Health Informatics Bioinformatics View 924 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Completed online application for graduate study and application fee
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, or international equivalent, verified from copies of unofficial transcripts uploaded to the online application Self-Service Center.
- Copies of unofficial university transcripts and any earned degree
- All transcripts from colleges or universities outside the United States must be translated into English
- Verification of English language proficiency.
- Official GRE, GMAT, LSAT, or MAT or other official test scores
- Other supplemental materials specified by your academic program such as essays, departmental forms, portfolios, or interviews
International1512 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1512 USD per credit during 12 months.
National1512 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1512 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State624 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 624 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Fairfax
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.