The Simple Guide to Getting Your Student Visa for Denmark

Danish universities are known for being leaders in terms of innovation, as they are keen on investing in world-class research facilities. And why wouldn't you want to study here? Denmark is the happiest place to study abroad, so it should be in your top 3, if not the first place.

Before starting your study abroad in Denmark, you will have to be admitted and get a study visa. 

Here are the top facts you need to know to apply for the student visa for Denmark:

Decide on a university to apply to and get your acceptance letter

If you plan to stay in Denmark for more than three months, you will need either a registration certificate or a residence permit, as follows:

  • EU/EEA citizens – will need a registration certificate and Swiss nationals will have to apply for a residence card.
  • Non-EU/EEA citizens – will have to apply for a Danish residence permit prior to arriving in Denmark.

If you need a starting point, then you should check these universities first:

If these aren’t the universities you picked for yourself, you can always check these study options in Denmark:

Once you decide on the university and subject, you are free as a bird to go and apply to a degree in Denmark and then focus on the visa.

Find Masters in Denmark

Find out what visa you need to study in Denmark

First things first: EU/EEA students, rejoice! Not only can you travel with only your ID, but, once settled in Denmark, you won’t need a visa. Sure, you will have to make some trips and resolve with your accommodation and get a residence permit-type paper, but that’s a walk in the park when it comes to visa bureaucracy.

Now, let’s tackle the rest. Whoever isn’t from EU/EEA, or from Switzerland, needs a visa. 

Also, here is some detailed information for nationals who wish to get the study visa for Denmark:

When and where to apply for the student visa?

Now, let’s talk numbers. Pick up a calendar and mark the dates with a pen.

The best time to start applying for your residence permit is three months prior to your arrival date. Seeing how some documents need to be signed, sealed, delivered, or biometrics need to be submitted, the overall duration and processing times may vary depending on the country.

For instance, it may take 60 days for your information to be processed if you’re from:

  • India
  • the U.S.
  • Canada
  • Iran
  • Indonesia
  • Egypt
  • Bangladesh
  • Philippines

Meanwhile, some students would have to wait for up to 6 months, if they’re from:

  • Nigeria
  • Pakistan
  • Kenya
  • Ghana

Also, since we’re talking durations: know that your residence permit is available for the duration of your courses, so there won’t be surprised visits to the city hall.

Copenhagen view Denmark.png

Documents for a student visa in Denmark

OK, so… Keep that pen ready, because there’s a lot here.

In the most convoluted case scenario, all the documents and trips you will have to take are:

  • Language proficiency proof
  • Visa fee payment proof (310 EUR)
  • Minimum funds proof (around 1000 EUR/month)
  • Acceptance letter from your university
  • A signed & filled in application form
  • A valid passport or another form of travel document
  • A passport photo
  • Travel insurance
  • Detailed information regarding your study programme
  • Proof regarding accommodation arrangement during your studies

Getting a registration certificate

Check with the Regional State Administration (Statsforvaltningen) within three months upon your arrival in Denmark. You will have to present:

  • your passport
  • two passport-type photos
  • the letter of admission from the university.

All non-EU citizens aged over 18 must have their photograph, fingerprints and signature recorded digitally when they submit their application for a Danish residence permit.

Apply for a work permit in Denmark

As an international student, you are allowed to work in Denmark, under the following legal conditions:

  • Non-EU/EEA and non-Nordic students are allowed to work in Denmark 20 hours a week from September to May and 37 hours a week from June to August;
  • Nordic, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens can work in Denmark with no restriction on the number of hours.

Permit for this extent of work is automatically granted with the residence permit.

Compare Masters in Denmark

Conditions you have to meet to be granted a residence permit

  • Be admitted to a higher educational programme, that is approved by a state authority or which is offered by a publicly accredited educational institution;
  • Documents stating you (or a sponsor) can support your financial expenses for the duration of your stay in Denmark.
  • The residence permit will be granted for the duration of the programme, so you will be set your whole degree.

Let us fund your studies abroad!

Apply to The Global Study Awards and get the chance to receive up to £10000 for your study abroad! This funding is powered by ISIC, British Council, IELTS and Studyportals.

Tell me more
Global Study Awards

Explore more than 60000 Master's programmes from all around the world with Studyportals.

All disciplines


Hey there 👋🏼

We are Studyportals, the #1 education platform to find your best matching studies for free.

What are you interested in studying?