The General and Applied Linguistics program at the Australian National University offers the opportunity to explore these and many other questions through an especially broad selection of topics.
The program will provide you with a solid grounding in linguistic theory, analysis and associated methodologies, and offers the opportunity to study language as a cognitive, social and historical process. Students can also study a broad range of languages as part of the degree.
- apply established theoretical frameworks critically and creatively at an advanced level to the description, analysis and explanation of linguistic data and language use;
- identify sources of linguistic data, and evaluate the reliability of those sources and their relevance to theoretical issues;
- research complex language phenomena using a variety of sources and techniques, and communicate this research to both specialist and non-specialist audiences; and
- apply a sophisticated understanding of language and its use to real-world language cont
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world.
We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life.
- Language and Society
- Sounds of the World's Languages: Phonetics and Phonology
- Teaching Languages
- Language, Culture and Translation
- Languages in Contact
- The Structure of English
- Cross Cultural Communication
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 32 other Masters in Languages in Australia
- At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis. Therefore, meeting all admission requirements does not automatically guarantee entry.
- Applicants must present a Bachelor degree or international equivalent with a minimum GPA of 5.0/7.0
International45360 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45360 AUD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.