Studying the History program at the Australian National University can draw upon our prize-winning teaching and research in Australian, North American, ancient, early modern and modern European, and British history, and the expertise of our leading centres for Indigenous history, environmental history, and biography.
The resources of the National Library of Australia, the National Archives of Australia, the National Museum of Australia, and the National Gallery of Australia are also all at your fingertips.
The Master of History provides the theoretical grounding and practical skills you need for the advanced study of history, plus the opportunity to tailor a program according to your interests.
- Review, analyse, and synthesise historical materials, knowledge and theory;
- Exercise critical thinking in historical theory while developing understanding of historical interpretations and debates;
- Learn the technical skills needed to undertake independent historical research;
- Present a clear and coherent exposition of historical ideas and materials to a variety of audiences, and
- Undertake an independent research project.
ANU ranks among the world's very finest universities. Our nearly 100,000 alumni include political, business, government, and academic leaders around the world.
We have graduated remarkable people from every part of our continent, our region and all walks of life.
- Rome: After Empire (Europe 400—800 AD)
- Ancient Athens: Democracy and Empire
- Rome: Republic to Empire
- Travellers and Geographers in Antiquity
- Bad Neighbours: Evidence of Athenian Life from 4th Century Law-court Speeches
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 5 other Masters in Ancient History in Australia
- At a minimum, all applicants must meet program-specific academic/non-academic requirements, and English language requirements. Admission to most ANU programs is on a competitive basis. Therefore, meeting all admission requirements does not automatically guarantee entry.
- Applicants must present a Bachelor degree or international equivalent with a minimum GPA of 5.0/7.0
International45360 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 45360 AUD per year during 12 months.
National30680 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30680 AUD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.