The Mathematical and Theoretical Physics course offered at the University of Oxford concentrates on the main areas of modern mathematical and theoretical physics: elementary-particle theory, including string theory, condensed matter theory (both quantum and soft matter), theoretical astrophysics, plasma physics and the physics of continuous media (including fluid dynamics and related areas usually associated with courses in applied mathematics in the UK system) and mathematical structures underlying physical theory.
If you are a physics student with a strong interest in theoretical physics or a mathematics student keen to apply high-level mathematics to physical systems and their underpinning mathematics, both pure and applied, this is a course for you.
The allocation of graduate supervision for this course is the responsibility of the Mathematical Institute and Department of Physics and it is not always possible to accommodate the preferences of incoming graduate students to work with a particular member of staff. Under exceptional circumstances a supervisor may be found outside the Mathematical Institute and Department of Physics.
Research in mathematical and theoretical physics or industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Your performance will be assessed by one or several of the following means:
- invigilated written exams
- course work marked on a pass/fail basis
- take-home exams
- mini-projects due shortly after the end of the lecture course.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Mathematics View 165 other Masters in Mathematics in United Kingdom
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in mathematics, physics, or a related discipline.
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.6 out of 4.0.
- If your degree is not from the UK or another country specified above, visit our International Qualifications page for guidance on the qualifications and grades that would usually be considered to meet the University’s minimum entry requirements.
International26405 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26405 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
EU/EEA10145 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10145 GBP per year and a duration of 9 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.