The Mathematics and Foundations of Computer Science course at the University of Oxford, is suitable for those who wish to pursue research in pure mathematics (especially algebra, number theory, combinatorics, general topology and their computational aspects), mathematical logic, or theoretical computer science. It is also suitable for students wishing to enter industry with an understanding of mathematical and logical design and concurrency.
The allocation of graduate supervision for this course is the responsibility of the Mathematical Institute and/or the Department of Computer Science and it is not always possible to accommodate the preferences of incoming graduate students to work with a particular member of staff. Under exceptional circumstances a supervisor may be found outside the Mathematical Institute and/or the Department of Computer Science.
Graduates pursue careers in research into mathematics and/or computer science or industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The mathematical side concentrates on areas where computers are used, or which are relevant to computer science, namely algebra, general topology, number theory, combinatorics and logic. Examples from the computing side include computational complexity, concurrency, and quantum computing. Students take a minimum of five options and write a dissertation.
The course will consist of examined lecture courses and a written dissertation. The lecture courses will be divided into two sections:
- Section A: Mathematical Foundations
- Section B: Applicable Theories
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Computer Sciences View 650 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
- Official transcript(s)
- Statement of purpose/personal statement: A maximum of 700 words
- Written work: Two essays of a maximum of 2,000 words each
- References/letters of recommendation: Three overall, all of which must be academic
International27460 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27460 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10550 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.