The revolution in genetic mapping technology and the advent of whole genome sequences has turned quantitative genetics into one of the fastest growing areas of biology.
Based in the internationally renowned Institute of Evolutionary Biology, the MSc in Quantitative Genetics and Genome Analysis from The University of Edinburgh draws from the wealth of expertise available there, as well as the teaching, research expertise and facilities of Scotland’s Rural College, the University’s Centre for Molecular Medicine, the Medical Research Council’s Human Genetics Unit and the Roslin Institute (birthplace of Dolly the sheep).
You will develop the in-depth knowledge and specialised skills required to apply quantitative genetics theory to practical problems, in both the biomedical and animal science industries, and to undertake research in evolutionary genetics, population genetics and genome analysis.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
This programme consists of two semesters of taught courses followed by a research project, leading to a dissertation.
Each year the syllabus is fine-tuned to suit current issues in evolutionary, plant, human and animal genetics.
Applicants who wish to select their area of specialisation during the programme should apply for this umbrella programme. Applicants with a preferred programme option should apply via the following links:
- Animal Breeding and Genetics
- Evolutionary Genetics
- Human Complex Trait Genetics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesBiology Natural Sciences Genetics View 223 other Masters in Genetics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in biological or biomedical sciences, medicine, agriculture, or animal sciences, or a degree in mathematics, statistics, or physics from applicants intending to transfer into the biological sciences.
- We will also consider your application if you have less than the minimum qualification but can show sufficient additional relevant experience such as significant work history in a related discipline.
- Your application must show evidence of an interest in genetics alongside quantitative skills.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International35900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35900 GBP per year during 12 months.
National18100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18100 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £9,050
- International/EU: £17,950
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.