The rapid transformation in the nature of drug discovery means that knowledge of related disciplines, and the technologies used, is essential for those considering a career in commercial or academic research.
In the Drug Discovery and Translational Biology programme at The University of Edinburgh , you will learn about marketing, licensing and regulations, which are all part of the development process. Our multidisciplinary approach links structural biology, bioinformatics, chemistry and pharmacology.
You will investigate the fundamental scientific problems and techniques of drug discovery and design, alongside the challenges of developing principles for new therapeutic strategies.
You will have hands-on experience of crystallographic computer programming and computation for bioinformatics.
You will consider the moral and ethical aspects of the agrochemical and pharmaceutical industries through case studies, seminars and discussions.
This MSc is designed to help you pursue a career in the pharmaceutical industry or relevant government agencies, and it will provide a good background for managerial or technical roles in research, design and development. It is also a solid basis from which to continue your studies to PhD level.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The programme consists of two semesters of taught courses, followed by a research project and dissertation.
- The learning and teaching activities that will form your teaching include sessions such as lectures, tutorials, workshops and seminars. Where possible, we will also teach in the laboratories and computing suites.
- You’ll do presentations, work on your own research skills, develop literature and data skills. You’ll also work on individual projects, as well as those in groups.
- Those students who progress to MSc level will carry out their own research project at the frontier of knowledge and can make a genuine contribution to the progress of original research.
- This also involves reviewing relevant papers, analysing data, and writing a dissertation.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesBiology Human Medicine Bioinformatics View 872 other Masters in Human Medicine in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in biochemistry, molecular biology, biophysics or pharmacology.
- We will also consider your application if you have a background in chemistry, pharmacy, physics, computer science or medicine.
- University-level mathematics is required at pass level and your degree should include some chemistry.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International34200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34200 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National17200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17200 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- School of Biological Sciences Taught Postgraduate Bursaries
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.