Students in the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages program at Temple University will help language learners gain access to the wealth of opportunities associated with the ability to read, speak and write English. Develop the skills to adapt instruction to learners’ age, communicative and academic needs, linguistic backgrounds, literacy development, native languages, and proficiency levels. The program also teaches research-based practices and strategies related to planning, implementing and managing English as a second language (ESL) and English as a foreign language (EFL) content instruction.
Prepare to teach English language learners both in positions that do not require state certification, including jobs overseas or in business settings, community agencies, college and university English language institutes, and parochial or other independent elementary and secondary schools.
- Teach college- and adult-level ESL at community colleges, immigrant support services and universities in the U.S.
- Teach English abroad at the secondary or college level.
- If you are a certified public school teacher already, enhance your position as an ESL specialist in the public school system.
- International students can return to their countries of origin and teach English as a foreign language at various levels, from elementary school to college.
- Applied Language Study I: Phonology and the Lexicon
- Applied Language Study II: Grammar, Morphology and Classroom Discourse
- Multilingual Students' Literacy Development
- Current Approaches to Teaching English Language Learners
- Designing Assessment and Curriculum for Multilingual Students
- 12 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Teaching English View 1852 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Research your graduate degree program
- Complete online application
- Bachelor's Degree in Discipline/Related Discipline: A baccalaureate degree is required.
International41199 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
National41199 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1329 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State29946 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 966 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.