Through a combination of theory and practical projects, both individual and collaborative, you’ll gain the experience and skills to work alongside computer animators to resolve technical problems either by configuring existing software tools or designing new tools.
- Join the Computer Animation and Visual Effects course from Bournemouth University and develop a creative and innovative approach to the analysis and solution of problems
- Apply technical, mathematical and algorithmic skills to develop tools to aid in the production of animation and games artefacts
- Apply software to develop techniques in C++ to test new algorithms, write shaders to support rendering and develop scripts and tools to create new effects
- Attend visiting speaker talks from industry specialists, including some of our successful alumni. Graduates have worked on many award winning films such as Jojo Rabbit, Avengers: Endgame, The Irishman, The Lion King, Star Wars Rise of Skywalker, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Dunkirk
- Collaborate with students across the NCCA Master’s courses in Digital Effects and 3D Computer Animation during the Group Project providing a realistic setting to discover what it’s like working with other creative people and working to a strict timescale
- Undertake a Masters project in preparation for the end of year degree show attended by top industry recruiters
- Access industry standard facilities including animation laboratories, equipped with industry-standard software including Maya and Houdini
- Attend BU's BFX Festival, the UK's largest visual effects, computer games & animation festival featuring a fantastic line-up of speakers, masterclasses, exhibitions, screenings and networking events
- BU is ranked 4th in the top 25 animation schools and colleges in the world, 3rd in Europe and 1st in the UK (Animation Career Review 2020).
Our computer animation courses are well regarded within the industry and based on previous years, the employment prospects for postgraduates are excellent.
A number of our courses have the ScreenSkills Tick, which indicates the quality of our computer animation degrees and shows that we offer training that prepares you for a career in the sector. The ScreenSkills Tick is awarded by ScreenSkills, the sector skills council for the creative industries. We’ve worked very closely with ScreenSkills to develop a range of ground-breaking short courses aimed at media professionals.
All of our accredited courses have undergone a rigorous assessment process conducted by experts working in the creative media industries and our strong industry links have played an important role in gaining us this accreditation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Simulation and Rendering
- Animation Software Engineering
- CGI Tools
- CGI Techniques
- Group Project
- Pipeline and Technical Direction
- Master’s Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no application deadline for this course. However, if you will need a visa, think carefully about the length of time it will take for your visa application to be processed.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Graphic Design Video Games & Multimedia View 142 other Masters in Graphic Design in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A Bachelors Honours degree with 2:2 in any subject
- For post-experience and professional qualifications, there may be additional entry requirements set by the association or institute that ultimately administers the qualification in question. The qualification description on the course information pages should tell you what these are but please get in touch with the Future Students Enquiry Team if you are in doubt.
- Applicants are also required to submit a portfolio in support of their application for this course.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- £8,000 (UK, ROI & CI)
- £15,500 (Int'l)
Living costs for Bournemouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.