Beyond the core skills delivered in the fast-track module, subsequent modules combine professional skills with a more conceptual understanding of how to interpret and communicate ideas in professional media work.
The Journalism programme at Birkbeck, University of London equips you with skills relevant to a wide range of professional contexts, and accordingly covers diverse aspects such as web journalism and other online media production, public relations, professional communications, and other skills relevant to the creative industries. You are strongly encouraged to develop your own areas of interest as well as to identify emerging areas of demand in the industry.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in journalism, the media, or public relations. Possible professions include broadcast/newspaper journalist, press sub-editor, or publishing copy-editor/proofreader. Graduates will be well equipped to enter a range of work environments, from newspapers and online journalism to magazines and trade publications. This degree may also be useful in becoming a public relations officer, market researcher, or writer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Sub-Editing, Layout and Design
- Fast-track Practical Journalism Skills
- Journalistic Skills in PR and Professional Communications
- Theoretical Perspectives on Media
- Web-based Journalism and Online Media Production
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media View 129 other Masters in Journalism in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in any related subject; other qualifications will be considered.
- Applications are encouraged from those with prior journalistic experience.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively.
- We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15200 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8350 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.