The economic and financial aspects of corporate governance relationships have long been of concern to those in the business and investment communities, and in recent years the social, political and moral aspects of these relationships have also become a major public concern.
This interdisciplinary Master's degree in Corporate Governance and Business Ethics at Birkbeck, University of London addresses both these sets of issues. It studies the complex and changing relationships between business corporations, their stakeholders (shareholders, employees, customers, suppliers, etc) and the societies in which they operate. The programme is international in scope, recognising both the wide variety of cultures and corporate governance systems within which businesses operate worldwide and the increasing globalisation of business and finance.
Coursework is combined with independent research, leading to a dissertation. You can also choose a specialist pathway, depending on your interests and career objectives. The modules are run in collaboration with other departments at Birkbeck, giving you access to a wide range of options and a truly interdisciplinary approach to corporate governance and business ethics.
- Based in the School of Business, Economics and Informatics, the Department of Management is an internationally recognised centre of excellence in teaching, research and consultancy in the broad field of management.
- Our academic staff are active researchers as well as enthusiastic teachers, and regularly publish cutting-edge articles in the world's leading journals. We have particular research strengths in international business and strategy, the management of innovation and entrepreneurship, human resource management, corporate governance, sport management and marketing, as well as financial management and accounting, and are supported by the London Centre for Corporate Governance and Ethics research centre.
- Provides a strong foundation for PhD research in the area and has achieved ESRC Research Training recognition.
- Benefits from the involvement of a number of leading figures in the field, including members of national and international committees on corporate governance, shareholder activists and NGO representatives. We engage in significant collaborative research and have excellent contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions.
- Has a number of streams, enabling you to concentrate on particular areas within the broader field of corporate governance and ethics, including public sector governance (in collaboration with our Department of Politics); environmental issues in corporate governance (in collaboration with our Department of Geography); and finance and accounting.
- You will have access to Moodle, our online learning resource, where all information and materials relating to your programme of study and modules are available, as well as the Birkbeck Library and e-Library.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in local and national government, business, and industry. Possible professions include management consultant, human resources officer, or marketing executive. This degree can also be useful in becoming a Civil Service fast streamer, retail manager, or sales executive.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Responsibility
- International Business Ethics
- Principles of Organization and Management
- Research Methods in Management (Postgraduate)
- Strategic Management (Postgraduate)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Management, Organisation & Leadership Corporate Social Responsibility View 1427 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Our standard postgraduate entry requirement is a second-class honours degree (2:2 or above) from a UK university, or an equivalent international qualification.
- We will review every postgraduate application to Birkbeck on its individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
- You do not need to have completed your current qualification to start your application.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17850 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11550 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.