This International Politics (Critical Geopolitics) course from Newcastle University gives you insight into the political dynamics, consequences and discourses of contemporary geopolitics and how to think critically about these important political currents.
Taught by internationally renowned researchers, you will develop:
advanced knowledge and understanding in areas such as:
- contemporary critical geopolitics
- international relations theory
- international and regional studies politics topics
- human geography
knowledge of methods in social science research and the techniques required to carry out advanced research
theoretical and practical research skills, including the synthesis of materials from a variety of primary and secondary sources
Our rigorous training in critical geopolitics, and research training in theories and approaches in the study of politics make this course a strong basis for a career with significant international dimensions or the pursuit of a postgraduate research degree in critical geopolitical studies.
We have a student-run Politics Postgraduate Society which brings together MA and PhD students to organise academic and social events. The Society runs:
- professional development seminars, led by academic staff
- seminars delivered by fellow postgraduates
- round-table discussions with staff and visitors
- the 'New Voices' seminar series, for exciting young external speakers
- a weekly film night during term time
Key staff include Dr Kyle Grayson.
Teaching takes place on Newcastle University's city centre campus. Small group seminars, of no more than 15 students, create a highly positive and intimate learning environment.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Thinking About Politics
- Critical Geopolitics
- Integration in Europe
- Theories and Theorists of International Political Economy
- Theories of International Relations
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesGeography Political Science View 416 other Masters in Political Science in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in international studies/politics or a related discipline.
- We will also consider your application on an individual basis if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and relevant professional experience.
International18000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7800 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU Part time: £3,900
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.