The coursework to earn your degree is a combination of classes, seminars, and clinical and teaching practicums. Additionally, you will complete a project – applied or theoretical in nature – conducted under the supervision of a faculty member and overseen by a thesis committee. Our program was the first Bioethics program of its kind, providing flexible convenience for both working and distance learners.
The Bioethics program of Medical College of Wisconsin provides advanced training for professionals, academics, and other interested individuals in health care, law, the humanities, and public policy who wish to become prepared for teaching, research, policy development, and clinical consultation work related to bioethics. The program provides students an opportunity for the study and research of current and emerging issues through a combination of didactic, clinical, and research activities.
What are My Career Options with a Master's Degree in Bioethics?
The best answer to this question is it depends. We see the MA in Bioethics primarily as a "value-added" degree, which means it is a wonderful opportunity for those who already possess an advanced degree (or who plan to obtain one) to broaden their career options. While some graduates of our program have had great career success after obtaining a Master's degree in Bioethics, we do not recommend that a student view a Master's degree in Bioethics as a "stand-alone" degree. The recent trend in most employment arenas for bioethics has been decidedly favorable for those with another degree or degrees in addition to the MA. So, what you can do with an MA in bioethics depends largely on you.
Some of our graduates serve on ethics committees and/or institutional review boards at their home institutions, provided ethics or research ethics consultation or ethics-related education activities, either as independent contractors or in their respective institutions, have pursued academic careers...the list goes on. Please feel free to contact us regarding your personal interests as related to career options.
- Clinical Topics in Bioethics
- Philosophical Bioethics
- Law and Bioethics
- Bioethics Consultation and Committees
- Justice and Healthcare
- Ethics Beyond the Acute Care Setting
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Public Health View 580 other Masters in Public Health in United States
- Complete and submit the online application form with a $50 application fee
- Official transcript for all prior coursework directly to the Graduate School
- Official test score report for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) directly to the Graduate School
- Letters of recommendation with recommendation forms from at least three references who can comment on the applicant’s ability to succeed in the program
- An official International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) test score is required of all applicants who did not receive a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a U.S.-based, non-online degree granting program
International16920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1128 USD per credit during 24 months.
National16920 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1128 USD per credit during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.