The Secondary Mathematics Education program offered by Simon Fraser University stresses the human aspects of mathematics. We emphasize the role of mathematics in society and the natural development of mathematics as a growing, changing, entity. Developments in the school mathematics curriculum, and in pedagogy, will be related to historical, cultural, and psychological forces operating within society.
The goal is to produce teachers who have a broad understanding of mathematics and mathematics education, and who will be qualified to deal with rapid curriculum change in the next several decades. To this end, the Faculty of Education and the Department of Mathematics have collaborated to develop six courses specifically for secondary mathematics teachers.
The program is designed for a cohort of students and each course is designed to complement the other courses. Students will be accepted into the program every two years in oder to maintain continuity and develop a mode of collaborative enquiry.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- issues in mathematics education
- learning mathematics with computers
- foundations of mathematics education
- teaching and learning mathematics
- foundations of mathematics
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesMathematics Teaching Secondary Education View 61 other Masters in Teaching in Canada
- a bachelor’s degree from SFU or its equivalent from a recognized institution
- a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.33 scale, or 3.33 on a 4.33 scale (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses. All graduate work is also considered.
- submitted evidence, usually references from qualified referees, of the applicant’s ability to undertake advanced studies in the area of interest.
- proof of English Language proficiency
- In exceptional circumstances, a student may be admitted with lower formal qualifications when there is significant experience relevant to the proposed area of scholarship.
International3970 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1985 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National3970 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1985 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Burnaby
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.