The Master in Resilience Engineering at The University of Tokyo graduate courses are offered by each department. Lectures and instructions for research are given generally in English. Japanese language courses are optionally available.
What’s Resilience Engineering?
The notion of probabilistic risk has contributed greatly to the improvement of safety and security of society so far. As the scale and the complexity of sociotechnical systems have increased and technologies have been tightly coupled with society, people have recognized that the conventional approaches for risk management are insufficient. New approaches for risk management are now desired in various domains, in particular, having experienced the Lehman shock and the Tohoku Earthquake.
From the above background, the notion of resilience is now drawing attention of researchers and practitioners. Resilience is the intrinsic ability of a system to absorb impacts of internal or external disturbances added to the system so that it can sustain the requested functionality or can recover rapidly from damages under both expected and unexpected conditions.
Resilience engineering is a field of study where:
for realizing such resilient sociotechnical systems are to be sought.
- Systems Innovation Projects
- Advance Seminar on Systems Innovation
- English for science and technology
- Special Lecture on Systems Innovation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Public Health General Engineering & Technology View 30 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in Japan
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application form
- Proof of Bachelor's degree
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
- Research work conducted by the applicant, such as a Bachelor's thesis, Honor's thesis or equivalent
- (graduates of Bachelor's programs with no research component will be given an essay assignment at the
- time of shortlisting)
- Proof of citizenship
- Two letters of recommendation by university academics
- Passport-sized photographs
- Proof of Examination Fee payment (the details regarding Examination Fee will be sent out at the time of shortlisting)
International4109 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4109 USD per year during 24 months.
National4110 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4110 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Tokyo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.