We have degree programs extending from the baccalaureate to the doctorate. Specializations include classical performance in voice, keyboard, guitar and orchestral instruments, conducting, theory, composition, musicology, jazz studies, and music education. At Rutgers University, we also have two certificate programs in recording arts for music technology and a Music Program in American Language Studies.
We seek to combine the strengths of both the finest conservatories and the major liberal-arts and research institutions.
The department not only draws talented and bright students from all over the world to its graduate and undergraduate programs, but also brings to the Rutgers faculty the foremost performing musicians and scholars.
The mission of the school is to nurture creative talent and instill the insights and skills that future generations of arts professionals need to contribute to the creative and scholarly world. The school offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in dance, filmmaking, music, theater, and art & design. In addition to its professional arts training programs, Mason Gross provides the larger community the opportunity to embrace the creative arts through the activities of its three divisions: Rutgers Arts Online, Extension Division, and Rutgers Filmmaking Center .
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Classical Performance
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- Music Program in American Language Studies
- Music Technology
- SAS Bachelor of Arts in Music
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 1111 other Masters in Music in United States
- Prescreening Materials (Composition only)- due December 15, 2019
- Official Transcripts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- English Language Proficiency - if required
- Writing sample and/or Portfolio (see below)
- Mason Gross supplemental application - emailed to applicants after submitting the university application- due December 15, 2019 for Composition or January 5, 2020 for Musicology and Theory. The supplemental application requires applicants to pay an additional $75 music talent assessment fee.
- Interview (by invitation for Composition applicants, required for all Musicology and Music Theory applicants)
International30336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15168 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National30336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15168 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
In-State19176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9588 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.