In the Department of Medicinal Chemistry, our work encompasses the transformation of new chemical entities into potential therapies as well as the study of existing drugs, their biological properties, and their quantitative structure-activity relationships. The Medicinal Chemistry program from Rutgers University is uniquely positioned to leverage recent scientific advances—in particular, the mapping of the human genome—into the discovery and development of novel drugs.
Our faculty teach undergraduate courses, mentor graduate students, and conduct innovative research in medicinal chemistry. Among the developments emerging from the research groups of our distinguished scientists are:
- Novel cancer chemotherapy agents, including G-quadruplex stabilizers and new lead compounds within the isozyme-specific topoisomerase II-targeting class
- Site-specific anticancer prodrugs that activate upon reaching tumor tissue, thus minimizing toxicity and maximizing efficacy
- Novel methods for using organometallic chemistry in the synthesis and preparation of biologically active molecules
- A diverse set of chiral ligands that combine with transition metals to form effective catalysts for the synthesis of chiral molecules
More informationVisit official programme website
- Medicinal Chemistry: Research Techniques and Principles
- Principles of Drug Design
- Heterocycles in Medicinal Chemistry
- Interpretation of Organic Spectra
- Modern Synthetic Organic Chemistry
- Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- Independent Research Proposal
- Seminar in Medicinal Chemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Human Medicine View 449 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
- Personal statement, official transcripts, and three letters of recommendation.
- GRE General
- In your personal statement please describe the courses you have taken and any research you have performed in the area of organic chemistry. What is your level of interest in research in the area of synthetic organic medicinal chemistry?
International30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
National30144 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15072 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
In-State17736 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8868 USD per semester and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.