- The American Studies program of Rutgers University trains students in the theory and methodology of interdisciplinary study and to develop research skills enabling them to draw upon, and eventually contribute to, the collections, archives, and resources of the universities and cultural institutions of the region.
- Foster new scholarship that contributes to the advancement of understanding of American civilization's heterodox identities, institutions, and cultures.
- Encourage the original and creative articulation of research and scholarly contributions to diverse audiences, including other scholars in the academy; undergraduate and graduate students; scholars and professionals in cultural institutions in the public sector; and the general public, through a variety of media.
- Concepts and Interpretations of American Studies
- Methodological Approaches to American Studies
- One course in public humanities, chosen in consultation with the program director
- Major Interdisciplinary Area
- Elective work in other disciplines or interdisciplinary fields
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies American Studies View 84 other Masters in American Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A sample of academic or professional writing up to 6,000 words long and personal statement of up to 1,500 words describing how you would advance by pursuing a degree in American Studies
- GRE General Exam will be waived for the 2020-2021 application cycle. Applicants must submit official transcripts, personal statement, three letters of recommendation, and a writing sample
- Rutgers University-Newark will accept the Duolingo English Test from affected graduate applicants applying to begin their studies in Fall 2021. The Duolingo English Test is an online English language proficiency test that can be taken via a camera-enabled computer. When you receive your results, you can share your scores with Rutgers-Newark. The minimum Duolingo score is 105.
International30888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15444 USD per semester during 12 months.
National30888 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15444 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18168 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9084 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Newark
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.