Intelligence and security policy issues are one of the fastest growing areas of academic and public concern. More than ever before, national governments, international agencies and international corporations need employees with a strong grasp of intelligence and security concerns who can also demonstrate first-rate skills of research and assessment.
As part of the Intelligence and Security Studies course at Brunel University London, you’ll study a range of modules on campus over one year full-time or two years part-time, including participation in the Brunel Simulated Intelligence Analysis Exercise (BASE) on a real-world subject. The MA will allow you to demonstrate your ability to complete a substantial piece of intelligence and securities research through a dissertation project.
Highly committed and enthusiastic tutors combine broad-ranging expertise in areas such as cryptography, computer networking, imagery, intelligence analysis, economics and law, with the knowledge, skills and understanding to develop your academic and professional potential.
You will be taught by one of the UK’s most innovative scholars in intelligence and security studies: an expert on covert action and military intelligence doctrine, a specialist in structured analytic techniques and a former senior military imagery analyst.
Careers and your future
The MA in Intelligence and Security Studies (MAISS) provides solid transferable skills in analysis and drafting, skills whose applicability cuts across a wide range of public and private pursuits. Our students have had great success in seeking employment once they have completed their course. Many have come from, and then continue to work for, government agencies in the UK and abroad — we have taught police, military, and other government officials from the United States, Canada, Switzerland, Finland, Norway, Belgium, Turkey, Japan, Jordan, the Philippines, Brunei, Thailand, Indonesia, Korea, Botswana and several other nations beside.
- Intelligence Concepts: Issues and Institutions
- Intelligence History: Failure and Success
- Contemporary Threats and Analytical Methodology
- Intelligence and Security Studies Project
- Intelligence Analysis Foundations, Methods and Applications
- Counterintelligence and Security
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTerrorism & Security View 125 other Masters in Terrorism & Security in United Kingdom
- A 2:2(or above) UK Honours degree, or equivalent internationally recognised qualification, with an understanding of the realities of academic intelligence and security study and the frameworks within which intelligence and security operations work.
- Applicants with other qualifications or with relevant work related experience will be considered on an individual basis.
- Applicants will be interviewed by telephone or in person.
International19280 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19280 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9370 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9370 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- UK/EU students: £4,685 part-time
- International students: £9,640 part-time
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.