The world needs better politics: better ways of distributing resources and resolving conflicts.
How can we do this when our engagement with politics is most often local and national? The politics of the future is haunted by those of the past. In order to imagine and move towards building a new future, an understanding of history must underpin national and international politics.
You'll benefit from a wide range of expertise across two outstanding departments, as well as access to numerous centres and institutes, including:
- Centre for Global Health Histories
- Post-war Reconstruction and Development Unit
- Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Centre for the Evolution of Global Business and Institutions
Careers and skills
While completing your Contemporary History and International Politics programme from University of York , you will gain essential skills in research, presentation and analysis. These skills are invaluable for progressing to a PhD and for a diverse range of careers.
Our graduates have gone on to careers within the following sectors:
- Civil Service
- Political think tanks
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Making of the Contemporary World: History, Politics and Ideas since 1945
- Research Training
- Global Visions and Local Actions: The History and Politics of International Health
- Mending the Past: History and the Politics of Guilt and Reparation
- Neoliberalism and its Discontents: The World since 1968
- Russian Foreign Policy from Alexander I to Vladimir Putin
- Serious and Organised? A Global History of the Criminal Underworld since 1750
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications can be submitted year-round, but we recommend you apply as early as possible as entry to many courses is competitive.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Modern History View 172 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We typically ask for a 2:1 degree in History or a related discipline.
- If you are an international student please check the minimum requirements for your country or region.
- If you are unsure about your eligibility, or want to enquire informally about whether this course would be suitable for you, please contact us.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8440 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8440 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time (2 years)
- UK: £4,220
- International/EU: £9,350
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.