HHE offers a unique programme and educational vision focusing on technology for healthy humans. While many programmes in biomedical technology are offered in Belgium and abroad, HHE is the first and only programme offered in English that applies the unique combination of human physiology and engineering in a broad range of areas for healthy humans.
The HHE curriculum is comprised of 120 ECTS (four semesters). The programme is organised into a two-module major, a minor, a master’s thesis and elective courses.
- The first module (16 ECTS) contains four courses that will allow you to gain insight in the working of the different physiological systems of the human body as well as in the psychology of the healthy human.
- The second module (41 ECTS) consists of eight engineering courses. In this module, you are challenged to gain insight in technology and apply your technological knowledge to solve real-life problems in a creative way via practical exercises and project work.
Minor, master's thesis and electives
- The 20 ECTS minor is comprised of courses chosen to either strengthen your major or to broaden your expertise in another domain.
- In the master’s thesis (30 ECTS), you will further develop your ‘hands-on’ experience and learn to solve problems using the acquired skills.
- The curriculum is rounded off with 10 ECTS of elective courses aimed at broadening your academic education. These credits may also be used to take strengthening elective courses to fill any gaps in educational background.
This programme structure allows for a high degree of personalisation, which, in turn, ensures the best possible match for your interests or future career ambitions.Career perspectives
As a HHE graduate, your polyvalent skill set will make you widely employable in the labour market, both within your own specialisation and in other sectors. You will be equipped to take on scientific, technical, organisational and commercial-technical roles in many sectors. In addition, as a bio-engineer, you will rapidly evolve from supporting positions to management positions and this in different activities (research, production and service, marketing, etc.), according to your interests and goals.
As a HHE expert, your contribution will be essential in numerous industrial sectors, including all professional domains linked to the well-being, health and performance of healthy humans in interaction with their environment. This includes:
- pharmaceutical industry
- clothing and fashion industry
- sport technology companies
- medical companies
- companies active in sleep comfort
- helmet producers
- producers of furniture
- transport industry (such as cars, buses, trains, and airplanes), etc.
In Belgium, graduates of the HHE programme are entitled to use the professional title of 'Bio-ingenieur' ('Bioscience Engineer')
Questions about student life in Belgium, life at KU Leuven or more information about a specific course? Chat with our students: www.kuleuven/be/chatwithourstudents.
Programme StructureCommon courses
- Integration of Biological Responses in Process Management
- Identification and Control of Biotechnical Processes
- Optics, Lasers and Acoustics
- Project Work Biosystems Engineering
- European Perspectives on Religion and Meaning
- Human Health Data Processing
- Functional Anatomy of the Human Locomotor System
- Biosensors and Bioelectronics
- Human System Physiology
- Biomedical Measurements and Stimulation
- Health Psychology Part 2: Biopsychological Interactions
- Nutrition and Metabolism
- Reorientation Minor
- Thematic Minor
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesHealth Sciences General Engineering & Technology View 5 other Masters in Health Sciences in Belgium
- an academic bachelor's degree in engineering (bioscience engineering, biomedical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, or any equivalent engineering degree)
Applicants must hold
- other bachelor's or master's degrees encompassing thorough coursework in at least mathematics and statistics, physics, biology and physiology.
Guidelines on whether your Bachelor's or Master's degree would be eligible can be found at www.biw.kuleuven.be/hhe/
For more information on the admission requirements, please visit the homepage of the programme.
International6000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
National938 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 938 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.