Our life chances are shaped by our family and community relationships, access to good quality public services, the particular features of our governing institutions and levels of economic inequality. That life chances are unequally distributed across the globe, and within particular countries, is an injustice.
The MSc in Social Justice and Community Action (Online Learning) The University of Edinburghat is designed to equip you with the knowledge and practical skills to help you make positive social change. It offers you the opportunity to critically engage with foundational ideas and debates about social justice, relate these ideas to your own practice context, and consider a range of approaches in communities, in policy and in different organisational contexts.
You will join a vibrant and supportive digital community of staff and students and study at the times and in the places that suit you best. The programme will be delivered through a rich mix of taught inputs, independent study and group work, making use of the following online methods:
- live online lectures, pre-recorded lectures and podcasts
- live online tutorials and text-based discussion forums
- reflective blogs
Specialist IT skills are not required.
This programme is designed for professionals working on social justice issues in diverse contexts, notably research and policy, grassroots practice, education, and for recent graduates who wish to gain the skills to enter the social justice field.
Students will acquire the skills applicable to social justice work in the public, third and private sectors. Graduates may find career opportunities, or opportunities for career advancement, in diverse contexts such as grassroots community practice, education, public policy development, policy advocacy, social research in non-governmental organisations or in the public/private sectors, or research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories and Politics of Social Justice
- Community Engagement: Co-Constructing Knowledge with Communities
And one of:
- Organisational Management for Social Justice
- Introduction to Learning for Sustainability
- Policy Analysis for Social Justice
- Learning for Democracy
Any of the above courses which you have not yet taken plus:
- Activist Social Research
- Displacement and Development
- Key Skills in Development Practice
- Digital Education in a Global Context
You may also choose from a wide range of online courses provided elsewhere in the University, for example:
- Health Inequalities and the Social Determinants of Health
- Politics and Theories of International Development
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
- No Attendance
DisciplinesSociology Legal Studies Political Science View 99 other Masters in Legal Studies in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent.
- We may also consider your application if you have substantial practice or research experience or other relevant qualifications; please contact us to check before you apply.
International4100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12300 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA4100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12300 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 36 months.
MSc PT intermittent fees
- 20 credits £1,370; 60 credits £4,100
PgDip PT intermittent fees
- 20 credits £1,370
PgCert PT intermittent fees
- 20 credits £1,370
- Online Learning Scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.