The legal and regulatory infrastructure and fundamental theoretical concepts underpinning global finance have undergone fundamental changes since 2008. This has had a profound impact on financial law theory and practice and the operation of global finance. Ever-evolving finance practices, the impact of technology, and a complex regulatory infrastructure, have created a challenging environment for those working in global banking and finance as industry leaders or policy-makers and regulators.
A successful career in today’s global markets requires an extensive and in-depth knowledge of complex and sophisticated global and domestic finance laws, regulations and practices. This skillset may not be developed without extensive study and a solid understanding of economic and regulatory theories supporting the operation of global finance that extends to the disruptive influence of financial technology.
This International Banking Law and Finance programme at The University of Edinburgh is ideal for those pursuing a successful career in the legal, accounting and banking industries, or those who aspire to work with regulatory authorities, central banks, and other public sector organisations.
Past graduates have joined, or advanced pre-existing careers with, large global banks, global law firms, regulatory agencies, central banks, private sector consulting firms, FinTech operators, venture capital and private equity firms, asset management companies, compliance and accounting firms and other public and private sector organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Based on Edinburgh’s strong law and finance expertise, this programme, taught by leading international experts, offers an interdisciplinary study of the legal and economic aspects of international banking and corporate finance law and practice, and of global finance regulation.
The programme focuses on:
- interdisciplinary analysis of the regulatory policies and structures underpinning international finance in the UK, the EU, US and Asia;
- the key role played by private law infrastructure and attendant documentation in underpinning global banking and especially international financial transactions; and
- lawyers’ roles in structuring cross-border banking and corporate finance transactions.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- There are 4 application rounds.
DisciplinesInternational Law Finance View 363 other Masters in International Law in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in law, finance, accounting, management or business studies.
- We will also consider candidates with a UK 2:1 degree, or its international equivalent, in another subject if they can demonstrate prior high-level study or experience of law and financial regulation topics.
- Your other qualifications and professional experience will also be considered as part of your application.
- Relevant work experience is not required but may increase your chances of acceptance.
- Relevant professional qualifications will be considered.
- Preference will be given to those with grades above the minimum requirements due to strong competition for places on this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24000 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
National13700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 13700 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
UK government postgraduate loans
If you live in the UK, you may be able to apply for a postgraduate loan from one of the UK’s governments. The type and amount of financial support you are eligible for will depend on your programme, the duration of your studies, and your residency status.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.