Explore pressing societal issues
What glues a society together? How can trust and cooperation be promoted and conflict be avoided? What causes inequality in general and inequality between men and women in the job market in particular? Why do immigrants have higher unemployment rates and lower-paid jobs?
In the Master’s programme Sociology and Social Research at Utrecht University , you will learn how to answer such questions. The Sociology and Social Research programme is closely related to the research programme of the Department of Sociology and is embedded in the Interuniversity Centre for Social Science Theory and Methodology (ICS). The programme is recognised as a high quality programme and has been awarded high ratings by different organisations in the Netherlands.
International orientation and individual development
The programme’s international character offers you global perspectives on sociological topics as well as a broad range of research opportunities. About 40% of our students come from abroad and prominent international scholars teach masterclasses.
During your electives, you have the opportunity to follow courses or do an internship at another university or research institute in the Netherlands or abroad. You will be able to choose your thesis topic from a broad range of topics.
In this two-year Master’s programme, you will learn to operate as a highly qualified social science researcher. You will integrate social theory and state-of-the-art quantitative empirical research methods.
You will have the opportunity to make choices that fit your goals, by choosing to do an internship and by selecting the topic of your thesis from a list of major sociological research questions, provided by our excellent researchers and lecturers who will be your supervisors.
Job prospects are excellent
There is a need in society for well-trained researchers with extensive knowledge of social science theories and methodologies. This Master’s programme connects with current major social issues and prepares you for a career in research, whether in academia (PhD training), at research institutes, or governmental organisations. You will also be prepared for a non-scientific career path.
As a graduate of this programme, you will be a highly trained researcher and well-qualified to work as a scientific researcher in the social sciences.
Accredited by the NVAO - Accreditation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sociological Theory Construction and Model Building
- Family and Social Inequality
- Methods and Statistics: Regression Analysis and Its Generalizations
- Research Practicum: Work-family Issues, Organizations, and Inequality
- Social Networks - Theory and Empirics
- Starting With Your Thesis - Literature Review
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology Educational Research View 60 other Masters in Sociology in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An academic Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioural Sciences (for instance Interdisciplinary Social Science, Sociology, Cultural Anthropology and Psychology) Economics, Political Sciences/Public Administration, Geography or Business and Management Programmes.
- Students with another academic Bachelor’s degree and a thorough training in formal models and/or quantitative analysis such as students with an academic Bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or mathematics can be admitted.
- A minimum average grade of 7.5 in the Dutch system or an international equivalent
- Sufficient academic knowledge and skills in methods and statistics
- Sufficient command of the English language
- Motivation that fits the aim of this programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17280 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17280 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.