The amazing feats of world-class athletes across the huge range of sports has projected the issues of performance into the public eye, and sports nutrition is now recognised as a key part of supporting training and competition at all levels of participation.
The aim of the Sports and Exercise Nutrition course offered at the University of Westminster is to produce sports nutritionists who are strongly focused on the science behind the subject, but who also have some experience of the practicalities of delivering sound guidance to individuals and teams who are looking to use nutrition as part of their training programmes. To this end, a number of guest lecturers contribute their expertise in key related areas, and students are also given the opportunity of shadowing established sports nutrition practitioners.
The course covers the key principles of sports nutrition and exercise physiology, including the latest research papers, and aims to develop the ability to apply critical awareness to topics across the broad remit of sports nutrition, from measurement of exercise performance to the assessment of mental performance.
- Qualified sport and exercise nutritionists find employment in a number of areas, ranging from research and public health nutrition to performance training. Many eventually become self-employed and create their own consultancy companies which can be very successful. The course is designed to make transition into any of these areas as smooth and effective as possible.
- Graduates go on to positions which include teaching in higher education, athlete support within the English Institute of Sport, and PhD research.
- The aim of our course is to enable students to develop an advanced level of subject knowledge and research experience, as well as a comprehensive range of transferable scientific and vocational skills. Your career choices can include leading sports nutrition programmes for teams and elite athletes, involvement in physical activity initiatives, along with employment in national governing bodies and organisations.
The course is accredited by the Association for Nutrition (AFN). This allows students to take the title Associate Nutritionist, which is the first step on the professional recognition and registration ladder.
The Sport and Exercise Nutrition MSc has received the Recognition Award of the International Society for Sports Nutrition (ISSN), and students are encouraged to take the Certification of the ISSN (CISSN) exam towards the end of their period of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Performance Nutrition
- Assessment Of Health And Fitness
- Concepts And Principles In Nutrition
- Nutrition And Performance
- Nutritional Assessment
- Practitioner Skills For Sports Nutrition
- Research Methods
- Research Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesNutrition & Dietetics Sports Sciences View 115 other Masters in Nutrition & Dietetics in United Kingdom
- A minimum of a lower second class honours degree (2:2) in a life sciences subject with a string element of nutrition and/or physiology, but if you are a graduate in another discipline there is an opportunity to gain entry via successful completion of the Essentials of Nutrition course.
- If your first language is not English you should have an IELTS 6.5 with at least 6.0 in writing.
- Applicants are required to submit one academic reference.
International14000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK tuition fee: £8,500 (Price per academic year)
- International tuition fee: £14,000 (Price per academic year)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.