This Statistics and Operational Research programme from The University of Edinburgh will prepare you for work in areas such as the medical and health industry, government, the financial sector and any other area where modern statistical tools and OR techniques are used. You will also develop the wider skills required for solving problems, working in teams and time management.
You will be able to identify appropriate statistical or operational techniques, which can be applied to practical problems, and will acquire extensive skills in modelling using the packages R for Statistics and Arena for simulation.
This MSc consists of lecture-based courses and practical, lab-based courses. You will be assessed by exams, written reports, programming assignments and a dissertation project. The set of courses available is subject to review in order to maintain a modern and relevant MSc programme.
This programme is ideal for students who wish to apply their statistics and operational research knowledge within a wide range of sectors including the medical and health sector, government and finance. The advanced problem-solving skills you will develop will be highly prized by many employers.
This MSc is accredited by the Royal Statistical Society (RSS)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Bayesian Theory
- Fundamentals of Operational Research
- Fundamentals of Optimization
- Generalised Regression Models
- Methodology, Modelling and Consulting Skills
- Statistical Programming
- Statistical Research Skills
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- 1- 31 January
- 2- 31 March
- 3 -30 June
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics Actuarial Science View 118 other Masters in Actuarial Science in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 degree, or its international equivalent, in a numerate discipline such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, physical or biological sciences, economics or business.
- Your degree must have included substantial mathematics content, including calculus (including calculus of several variables), linear algebra, probability, statistics and statistical theory. Detailed information is available from the School of Mathematics website.
- You can increase your chances of a successful application by exceeding the minimum programme requirements.
International25100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National13700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13700 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/EU: £6,850
- International: £12,550
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- School of Mathematics funding
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.