Insufficient physical inactivity is a leading risk factor for death worldwide. The levels of inactivity evident across the world, in both adults and adolescents, make physical inactivity a pandemic and a global public health issue.
The MSc Physical Activity for Health is designed to provide postgraduate level, academic training for both recent graduates and the existing national and international workforce in the area of physical activity and public health from a range of disciplines including:
- sport and exercise sciences
- health sciences,
The MSc Physical Activity for Health will equip you with the critical knowledge of, and the ability to critique, the current research evidence relating to the role of physical activity in improving and maintaining health. The degree will also provide you with specialist measurement and research skills to investigate issues in the field, and a broad range of transferable intellectual and study skills designed to foster your development as an independent learner.
There has been an increasing interest in the area of Physical Activity for Health. The skills you will develop in this programme will enhance your opportunities for employment in careers in many areas related to physical activity.
Recent graduates have taken up roles in:
- Physical Activity and Sports Development
- Health Promotion (for example, within workplaces and local authorities)
- Health and Fitness Industry (for example, within gyms and sporting facilities)
- Physical Activity and Health Consultancy
- Research positions (for example, within academic and non-governmental organisations)
- Teaching positions
Many of our graduates have chosen to extend their studies by undertaking a Doctoral degree following graduation. Following completion of their PhD, several have progressed into
- Assessment of Physical Activity and Body Composition
- Physical Activity for Health
- Physical Activity for Health Across the Lifespan
- Psychology of Physical Activity
- Research Process
- Understanding Research Concepts
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesEducation Sports Sciences View 378 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline such as sport and exercise science, physical education, health sciences, psychology or physiology.
- We may also consider your application if you have equivalent academic qualifications and significant professional training and experience; please contact us to check before you apply.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £8,335
- International/EU: £16,870
MSc PT fees
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.