In the discipline of nursing, specialization occurs academically at the graduate level. The Master of Science in Nursing, MSN program at Ferris State University, with specialty concentration options for advanced leadership roles, provides educational opportunities for bachelor prepared nurses who seek career mobility options in new and exciting areas of leadership within the profession.
The graduate degree in nursing is intended to build upon the bachelor's degree and provides the student with three specialty concentration options. The specialty advanced leadership concentrations all support professional roles that are in very high demand within the discipline of nursing at the present time. These focused advanced leadership role options include: nursing education, nursing administration, and nursing informatics.
The MSN degree offers three specialty concentration options, depending on the professional career goal of the graduate student:
- Nursing Education: The current and anticipated shortage of nursing faculty reflects the general shortage in the nursing profession. The average age of current nursing faculty is 55, heralding a need to replace current faculty as they retire in large numbers over the next several years. If you have ever considered entering the academic setting as a nurse educator, this degree can be your first step to attaining that goal.
- Nursing Administration: The demand for nurses with a grounded theory base in business administration continues to increase in the health care delivery system. The basic BSN program prepares nurses for entry-level positions in nursing or health care management settings. Those nurses who desire to hold executive positions in those same settings must possess the knowledge and skills that are critical to the administrative role in these tumultuous times in the health care industry.
- Nursing Informatics: The area of nursing informatics is a growing specialty that many nurses are recognizing as an area of marked career growth in the past few years. This new practice area addresses the burgeoning need for experts who have a health care background, such as nursing, to manage the continuous expansion of information technology in the health care setting. The use of technology in the storage, dissemination and utilization of patient data has become a constantly evolving challenge for the health care industry.
The MSN program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN.)
- Advanced Nursing Roles
- Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Health Care Systems, Policy, & Advocacy
- Critique of Evidence for Practice
- Quality Improvement & Safety
- Clinical Prevention & Population Health
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Nursing View 1436 other Masters in Public Health in United States
- A bachelor of science in nursing is required for the nursing education track. A bachelor of science in nursing or a bachelor degree in a related field from a regionally accredited university is required for the nursing administration or nursing informatics track.
- Licensure as a registered nurse.
International30900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1030 USD per credit during 12 months.
National20580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 686 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State20580 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 686 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Big Rapids
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.