A US-accredited Program in France
The International Relations and Diplomacy programme of the American Graduate School in Paris combines the wide recognition of an American degree with the unique experience of a Paris-based program. It is accredited in the US as an affiliated program of Arcadia University (Pennsylvania) and taught at the American Graduate School in Paris, a private nonprofit institution of higher education recognized by the French Ministry of Higher Education.
Classes are taught in the heart of Paris. The French capital – which is also one of Europe’s capitals and an international hub – is an ideal location for the study of international affairs. The program takes full advantage of this through guest speakers, site visits, and networking events. These all represent opportunities to get exposed to the international scene and make connections with the many diplomatic missions, intergovernmental organizations, and NGOs that the city hosts.
The language of instruction is English; no knowledge of French is required to enroll. You have the opportunity to learn French through AGS’s partner institution Alliance Française Paris-Ile de France.
Expertise in International Affairs
The program draws on AGS’s specific expertise in the field of international relations, in which the school has specialized since it was founded in 1994. At the core of this expertise, the faculty of the program is comprised of both accomplished scholars conducting research at the forefront of their discipline, and practitioners sharing their knowledge and professional experience, such as retired Ambassadors or government officials.
The curriculum strikes a careful balance between academic thoroughness and practice-oriented approaches to fully prepare you for the professional arena. It examines the interaction between State and non-State actors at an international level through a multi-disciplinary scope covering political as well as cultural, historical, economic, geographical, social, legal, and humanitarian aspects, all updated to include the most current international issues.
Required courses cover the core subjects of international relations theory, economic policy, international public law, foreign policy formulation, and methodology. A broad rage of electives is available to explore other areas of international affairs such as NGO management, environment policy, gender issues, geopolitics, conflict resolution, and area studies.
A range of options allows you to tailor the program around your particular interests and career objectives.Internship
While in the Master’s program, you have the opportunity to perform an internship in a Paris-based organization: diplomatic/consular mission, intergovernmental organization, NGO, multinational corporation news media outlet or another type of relevant international institution.
You may specialize in a particular sector of international affairs and obtain, in addition to your M.A. in International Relations and Diplomacy, a Certificate of Concentration in your area of specialization. The requirements for this option consist of elective courses in the said area, directed readings, comprehensive exams, and an area-focused thesis.
Area Concentrations Available include:
- African Studies
- Asian Studies
- Middle Eastern Studies
- European Studies
Dual degree options
A number of dual program options with partner universities allow you to earn a second degree in a complementary discipline in addition to your US-accredited M.A. in International Relations and Diplomacy:
- US-accredited Master of International Service in the International Studies Track at American University, Washington, D.C., USA: more information here
- European accredited Master in Diplomacy and Strategic Negotiation at Université Paris-Sud (Sceaux, France): more information here
- European accredited LL.M. in French and European Union Law and Business Ethics at the Law School of Université de Cergy-Pontoise (France): more information here
- US-accredited M.A. in Peace and Conflict Resolution at Arcadia University (Pennsylvania, USA): more information here
You may spend one of the semesters of the M.A. in International Relations and Diplomacy program abroad, studying at one of AGS's partner institutions while earning credits toward your AGS degree. Options include the United States (Arcadia University) and Italy (University of Siena). You may also spend the summer at UC Berkeley Extension, completing an additional module in leadership and management.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Factors and Theories of Analysis in IR&D
- Research Methodology and Design
- Foreign Policy Formulation and Diplomacy
- Principles of Economics
- Issues in U.S. Foreign Policy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science View 38 other Masters in International Relations in France
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The core admission requirement for all Master's level programs is a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent, with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0.
- A degree in a discipline related to the program you are considering is helpful.
- A completed AGS application form
- A personal statement
- Your current CV or resume
- Official transcripts of all previous university-level studies
- Two letters of recommendation (only one for non-degree program applicants)
- For non-native speakers of English who did not graduate from a degree program instructed in English: a standardized test of English score : TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score
International18669 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37338 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA18669 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 37338 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.