The Geomatics programme is offered at the University of Applied Sciences Karlsruheis.
The data is processed with state-of-the-art information and communication technologies (ICT), often in geographical information systems (GIS) and based on a broad spectrum of mathematical algorithms and models.
Thus, Geomatics plays an important role in products and services, which depend on geospatial data and spatial computing. Nowadays it has an impact on numerous disciplines including environmental management, land development and planning, engineering, geo- and life sciences, traffic, logistics, and utilities.
As economic and political decisions are increasingly based on geo-spatial information, Geomatics plays a key-role for society as a whole. The modern mobile society generates new challenges with a tremendous increase in applications related to e.g. location-based services, 3D city models, crowd-sourced mapping, big data, UAV, indoor navigation, and mobile GIS.
Study program contents and aims
The international study program Geomatics (M.Sc.) comprises 120 ECTS in 4 semesters with generally 5 modules and 30 ECTS per semester. The 2nd and 3rd semesters cover compulsory and elective modules, where 6 electives have to be selected among 10.
The courses of the 1st semester ensure that all students bring along the required knowledge base. For graduates with a 210 ECTS Bachelor degree, up to 30 ECTS of the 1st semester Master courses can be recognized. In order to qualify as an inter-national study program, one taught semester of the Bachelor or Master program or a substantial portion of the Master thesis phase has to be spent abroad.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Geoinformatics: Application programming for Web processing, monitoring and Open Source GIS;
- Geovisualization: Computer-aided visualization, communication and use of geospatial information;
- Geobusiness: Location-aware spatial analysis based on economic principles;
- Environment: Monitoring and managing our changing natural environment by means of GIS and remote sensing;
- Geodesy: Engineering photogrammetry and geodesy for automated information extraction;
- Navigation: GNSS/MEMS integrated precise navigation for out-door and indoor applications.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) View 11 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Certificate of a bachelor's or undergraduate degree of an accredited higher education institution. The degree / major must be in a field related to that of the intended master's program.
- Bachelor's transcript. Only outstanding applicants can be admitted into the Master's programs, as there is a fixed numerus clausus (mark-based entrance condition): the grade point average of the first degree must be 2.5 or better (German system: 1 = best possible mark, 4 = minimum passing mark). Alternatively, applicants must prove that they are ranked in the upper third (top 35%) of their undergraduate class.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.