The degree provides exciting study and career options in the important and prestigious arena of diplomatic practice and other practice-oriented international relations careers. You will be taught by internationally recognised research scholars from the Coral Bell School of Asia Pacific Affairs , have the opportunity to engage with senior diplomats from Australia and elsewhere, and you will graduate from a world-class university, positioning you firmly in the centre of a global network of leading scholars and policy-makers.
The Master of Diplomacy at the Australian National University also provides a broad list of electives offered by experts in regional, international and language studies at the ANU, allowing for both breadth and depth of learning.
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of transnational diplomacy and its contemporary challenges, from the perspective of multiple actors, such as a civil service department, multilateral body, international corporation or non-government organisation;
- Display effective diplomatic skills with the ability to engage with transnational issues in a globalised environment with the use of negotiation, persuasion, advocacy and protocol
- Use theories of diplomatic studies to reflect upon the global management of the world’s problems through diplomatic dialogue, and the role of the use of force, and design multi-stakeholder processes that lead to solutions;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the relationship between the sub-field of diplomatic studies and the broader field of International Relations, reflecting on how a practitioner-led account of world affairs complements our understanding of world affairs.
- Use high-level research and writing skills to undertake self-directed study in diplomacy and communicate findings in academic and practical contexts, justifying their approach and methods as appropriate.
- Use their knowledge and skills to analyse new areas of concern in both scholarly and policy-relevant terms;
- Issues and Concepts in International Relations
- Transnational Diplomacy
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Foreign Policy Analysis
- Contemporary Challenges in Diplomacy
- Case Studies in Diplomacy
- Diplomacy, Politics and the United Nations
- The United Nations and Peace
- Diplomacy: from cuneiform clay to digital tablets
- Harnessing Diplomacy for International Development
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development Political Science View 47 other Masters in International Development in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Code: 0101474
- Bachelor or international equivalent with GPA 5/7; or
- Bachelor or international equivalent with GPA 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a related field; or
- Bachelor with GPA 4/7 and a Graduate Certificate with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Diploma with a GPA 4/7; or
- 48 units of courses in a postgraduate program with a GPA of 4/7; or
- Graduate Certificate with a GPA of 4/7 and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a field related to the program; or
- Graduate Records Examination (GRE) General test with a minimum score of 155 for Verbal Reasoning, 155 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.0 in Analytical Writing and a minimum of 3 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a related field; or
- A minimum of 10 years full-time equivalent work experience at ANZSCO Skill Level 1 in a related field.
International47940 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47940 AUD per year during 18 months.
National33520 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33520 AUD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.