The MSc Language Sciences (Speech Sciences) at University College London (UCL) explores the theories and methods behind the science of talk to understand how we perceive and produce speech, how we design our talk for others and how we acquire the sounds of our language(s).
Throughout, the emphasis is on developing research skills alongside theoretical knowledge: you’ll have the opportunity to learn about and use specialist methods, including acoustic analysis, behavioural experiments, EEG, ultrasound & modelling.
Many students who graduate from the MSc Language Sciences programmes go on to further study or research. Recent graduates have gone on to PhD study at UCL, and in other UK and overseas institutions. Others have gone to work in related industries (e.g., speech technology including Google & Amazon, cochlear implants manufacturers) or in education.
The skills that the MSc develops - independent research, written and oral presentation skills, and data analysis - are all transferable skills that are very highly sought after outside academia.
- The Brain and Imaging the Brain
- The Human Voice: Speech, Emotions, Identity
- Psychological Experimentation
- Brain and Behaviour
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Social and Business Psychology
- Psychology Readings
- Methods in Cognitive Neuroscience: Neuroimaging
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend you apply as soon as possible. The programme may remain open if places are still available and will be closed as soon as it's full or by 30 June.
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Neuroscience Cognitive Sciences View 155 other Masters in Neuroscience in United Kingdom
- Normally a minimum of an upper second-class Bachelor's degree from a UK university or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard in a language science related area such as linguistics, speech sciences, English language, psychology, cognitive science, or a cognate discipline.
International32100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.