The group’s expertise covers the broad scope of psycholinguistics, as well as connections to other areas of social and cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience, and members use a wide range of experimental, observational, computational, and neuroscience methods. The group is part of one of the largest collections of natural language researchers in Europe, with links to computer scientists, linguists, and philosophers.
The Psychology of Language programme at The University of Edinburgh is primarily designed for students who aspire to pursue a research-oriented career in psychology of language. However, students interested in careers outside research will obtain a broad range of highly desirable transferable skills, in areas such as research design, data science, critical evaluation and synthesis of scientific literature, and written and oral communication.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCore courses
- Psychological Research Skills - General advanced research methodology
- Univariate Statistics and Methodology using R
- Multivariate Statistics and Methodology using R - Advanced statistical modelling
- Psychology of Language 1 (semester 1) and Psychology of Language 2 (human language processing; semester 2)
- Neuroscience of Language (taught by the Language, Cognition, and Communication research group)
- Contemporary Topics in Cognitive Neuroscience
- Brain Imaging in Cognitive Neuroscience
- Specialist Techniques in Cognitive Neuroscience
- Clinical Neuropsychology
- Atypical Development
- Applied Psychological Testing
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Or any other Edinburgh course open to MSc students, as agreed by the programme director
The dissertation, submitted in August, involves conducting an empirical research project in close collaboration with an expert supervisor, sometimes also working with other graduate students.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Psychology View 856 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in psychology, linguistics, cognitive science or a related subject.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International26300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £13,150
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.