The Philosophy, Research School of Humanities and the Arts program from Australian National University is consistently ranked amongst the best universities in the world for its research in the arts, humanities and social sciences. Our students are part of a community of leading researchers and are inspired by intellectual curiosity and scholarly excellence.
Graduate research degrees are available in over 20 disciplines in the arts, humanities and social sciences within the College of Arts & Social Sciences (CASS). The major component of the research program is a substantial piece of written work which investigates a particular subject or issue. A research student works independently under the direction of a primary academic supervisor who forms part of a supervisory panel of academic staff.
- The Master of Philosophy requires the submission and successful examination of a thesis of up to 60,000 words.
- If approved the thesis may take an alternative form, such as a performance and/or corpus of creative work.
- Study consists of one to two years of full-time study or part-time equivalent.
- The Master of Philosophy requires the completion of 24 units of coursework, which will consist of courses covering training on research methods, ethics and other topics as deemed appropriate by your supervisory panel.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Educational Research View 38 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS CODE: 050800J
- To be admitted to the Master of Philosophy program you will be required to have completed at least an Australian Honours degree or equivalent, with a result of H2A (Second Class Honours Division A). Equivalence may be met by completion of a Master’s degree that includes a significant research component.
- All applicants must meet the University’s English Language Admission Requirements for Students.
- You may be granted admission if you can demonstrate that you have a background equivalent to these qualifications.
International39870 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 39870 AUD per year during 24 months.
- Domestic research students are not required to pay tuition fees as they are enrolled under the Research Training Scheme which funds the fees.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.