About the Program
As members of a diverse metropolitan community with a long history of institutional support for photography, we are committed to making and studying creative works in an environment that promotes civil discourse, self-awareness and student success. Through student-driven research and concentrated studio time our students actively engage in technical and conceptual experimentation and interdisciplinary investigation.
The Photography - Digital Media program of the University of Houston is recognized for its comprehensive approach to creative lens, media and time-based artwork. This 3-year program has a very strong traditional fine art photography component, but is also one of the first university photography programs in the country to include digital media as an integral part of its curriculum. Aesthetic diversity and the development of individual artistic vision are emphasized and discussed in regular individual critiques and as a part of the group dialog in a seminar offered each semester.
Graduate students are provided with their own studio spaces within a studio complex equipped with shared Mac workstations for scanning and printing to Epson 7800 and 4900 printers. In addition, students have broad access to medium and large format cameras, DV/HD video equipment, well-equipped wet lab and studio facilities, and also eligible to have individual black and white enlarger suites of their own.
Houston is a great city for photography. The collection at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (MFAH) is world-class and the basis for regular exhibitions. The Houston Center for Photography and numerous commercial galleries exhibit photography and media on a regular basis. and numerous commercial galleries exhibit photography and media on a regular basis. Additionally, every two years the entire city focuses on photography for Houston’s Fotofest. During this bi-annual conference, photography enthusiasts flock from around the world to see exhibitions, share their portfolios and attend lectures. Nearly every commercial and non-profit gallery space participates with a photography related event or exhibition during the conference.
- Writing Seminar
- Photography Studio
- Readings in 20th and 21st Century Photography
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Visual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 837 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Houston and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- BA, BFA or BS in any field from a US accredited institution with a minimum of 3.0 (B) GPA earned in the last 60 hours of coursework
- A portfolio and statement of intent are the most important parts of the application. The School of Art evaluates and admits MFA applicants primarily on the basis of work completed in the major area of concentration to which the application is made
- A University of Houston Graduate School application
- A Katherine G. McGovern College of the Arts application
- Non-refundable application fee
- Official transcript from each college or university attended since high school
- Three people to serve as references. At least one of these should be familiar with your your art or design work.
- A statement of intent expressing your reasons for pursuing graduate study in your area of interest. Indicate on the statement the concentration to which you are applying.
- A resume or CV
- A portfolio uploaded to the application portal
International9936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4968 USD per semester during 36 months.
National9936 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4968 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State3840 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1920 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.